Gil Perez, former ESD director arrested for theft and abuse of duty

Gil Perez who at one time served as the director of at least six of Bexar County’s Emergency Service Districts was taken into custody on Wednesday, July 12.

The first ESD to dismiss Perez was ESD No. 7 which included the area outside and surrounding the City of Helotes. According to sources inside ESD No.7 the board became concerned about certain checks that were written against the account. In a closed door meeting the district dismissed Perez and his secretary Gloria Salinas from employment.

The ESD district’s attorney at the time, Ken Campbell, argued against turning information over to the Bexar County District Attorney’s office. Ken Campbell has served as the attorney for many of the ESD’s that employed Perez as Director.

ESD No. 2 noticed discrepancies with their financial documents and started collecting documentation against Perez. There were other allegations of wrong doing brought by an employee of ESD No. 2 which caused the Board of Directors to discuss Perez’s continued employment as the Director. Perez offered his resignation to District No. 2.

This information and collected documents served as the basis of the Texas Ranger’s investigation into the conduct of Gil Perez.

The last ESD District to employee Perez was District No. 8. Last year, Perez orchestrated the takeover of the Grey Forest volunteer fire department including all equipment, firefighting apparatuses, and employees. Perez also helped to create the lease agreement between the City of Grey Forest and ESD No. 8 to continue using the current Grey Forest Fire Station.

Additionally, Perez purchased property through ESD No. 8 along Babcock road to construct a new fire station for ESD No. 8. Unfortunately, the property is close to the anticipated annexation planned for the City of San Antonio. ESD No. 8 cannot sell the property because the property was sold with the limitation that it can only be used to construct a fire station.

Surprising to most is that ESD No. 8 continues to employ Gloria Salinas as the Director of the ESD No. 8. Salinas served as the secretary and assistant to Perez in most of the ESD’s in his employment.

In a discussion with Kevin Wolff (Bexar County Commission Precinct 3) last summer, Wolff indicated he was aware of the Ranger investigation. “I know the Rangers are investigating,” said Wolff. “I support that investigation, and I am driving that investigation. I know some are saying they do not expect anything to happen. I disagree with this and I know the Rangers are conducting a thorough examination.”

Perez was arraigned on one count of misapplication of fiduciary property (third degree felony), abuse of official capacity (third degree felony), and charge of theft by a public servant (second degree felony).

Perez was released from Bexar County jail after posting a $15,000 bond.

Related posts